The holidays are here, and it’s that time of the year when we whip out our secret recipes and make endless amounts of cookies, cakes, desserts... Oh wait, we do that year round!
But we believe dogs deserve to relish in the holiday spirit just as much as humans, so that’s why we love sharing our special Gingerbread People cookie recipe.
These are easy enough for you to replicate in your own home, however if you don’t have great track record in the kitchen, have no fear because we also have this video that shows you how to make them.
Ok now let’s get into it! Here’s the list of ingredients you’ll need:
Oat Flour - 1 ¾ cup
Rice Flour - 1 cup packed tightly
Potato Starch - ½ cup packed tightly
Egg - 1
Cinnamon - 1/4 cup packed
Ginger - 4 tbsp
Applesauce - 3 tbsp
Water (room temp) - ¾ cup
Honey - ¼ cup
Molasses - 2.5 tbsp
Canola Oil - ¼ cup
At least one very good pupper to taste test
1. Set your oven at 325 degrees.
2. Combine all dry ingredients and set aside (Oat Flour, Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Ginger, and Cinnamon).
3. Whisk together the wet ingredients until well incorporated (Applesauce, Water, Honey, Egg and Oil).
4. Fold the wet into the dry with a spatula until the ingredients begin the come together. Then we encourage you to finish finish folding with your hands until the desired consistency is achieved! It should be soft to the touch but not sticky or wet.
Assembly 1. Using a rolling pin (or if you don’t have one, think something similar in shape like a wine bottle), roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thick. If the dough is sticking to the rolling pin, placing a sheet of seran wrap over the dough to roll it out will help.
2. Now cut using the desired cookie cutter shape. We use a gingerbread person in two sizes, one for larger pups and one for smaller dogs.
3. Using a bench scraper, lift the gingerbread off the table and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. No need to spray the sheet. You don't need to leave much space in between the cookies, because they won't expand very much. So feel free to fill your pan with gingerbread closely placed together. 4. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through to make sure they are baked evenly. 5. Let the gingerbread cookies cool.
Now here’s where you can make these dog gingerbread cookies your own. You can decorate them however you and your pup would like!
Some options: peanut butter spread, carob icing, melted yogurt chips or even just plain.
Of course at The Dog Bakery, we love to decorate all our cookies, so we usually combine carob and vanilla or a yogurt based drizzle for that finishing touch.
And then comes the part your dog has been waiting for, the taste test! We hope your pup will enjoy the cookies as much as our bakery pups. And from our family to yours, happy holidays!
ENTERTAINMENT AND INFORMATION ONLY – NOT VETERINARY CARE
The Dog Bakery blog operates an online information and opinion blog and is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Reading this blog or using any of the information you expressly acknowledge and understand that there are risks and limitations associated with any advice, recipes, formulas, products given.
The blog is NOT a substitute for veterinary care, advice, facts or opinions, and we cannot provide advice or consultation regarding such. If your pet is sick, injured, or in need of medical attention, please contact your regular veterinarian or local emergency animal hospital immediately.
The contents of The Dog Bakery, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on the Site ("Content") are for informational and entertainment purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the Site.
READ AND USE OF THIS SITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK
THE DOG BAKERY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS, INJURY, CLAIM, LIABILITY, OR DAMAGE RELATED TO YOUR USE OF THIS SITE OR ANY SITE LINKED TO THIS SITE, WHETHER FROM ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THE CONTENT OF OUR SITE OR ANY OTHER LINKED SITES, FROM THE SITE BEING DOWN, OR FROM ANY OTHER USE OF THIS SITE.