With so many people spending their days at home since lock downs and quarantines began, we had a hunch that dogs were getting more attention than ever. But we wanted to understand the extent people were going to and in what ways they were spoiling their pups.
So we surveyed 1000 dog owners and learned that our suspicions were correct, 78% of dog owners ARE giving their dogs more attention, 21% of dogs are receiving the same amount of attention and just 1.5% of dogs are receiving less attention.
Most people love giving extra attention to their dogs, but a few said that with work conference calls and kids at home, they just didn't have time to spend time with their dog. And then others in the front line of this pandemic have been working many many hours a day and so their dogs unfortunately are left to fend for themselves.
CUDDLES & SNUGGLES
Dog owners are giving attention to their dogs in a variety of ways the most prevalent being more cuddles.
- Some people are working from home, so their pup is sitting in their lap or nearby
- Other people on furlough or laid off are spending more time in front of the TV, so of course their fur baby is sitting on or nearby their human.
- People are sleeping in more, and allocating family cuddle time in the morning... dogs included!
EATING MORE WALKING MORE
Everywhere I go I see people out walking their dogs so we weren't surprised to learn that 55% reported they are walking their dogs more often and 34% are going on longer walks. This is great for the human and especially the dog so they can work off all those extra calories they've been getting from the treats they're being fed. 57% of respondents report giving their dogs more treats.
BUT THERE'S SOME BAD NEWS
Some dogs have been negatively affected by Coronavirus. 39% of respondents said they used to take their dogs on lots of outings, to dog parks, day care, dog beaches but now they can't go to any of those places.
And over 12% said their dog is actually get fewer amenities like treats because they can no longer afford them.
We also asked people if they've done anything unexpected or extra-ordinary with their pup since Coronavirus was a thing. We were inspired by the activities people are doing with their pups. Here's a sampling:
1. Homemade Dog Food. A full 7% of people say they are now making their dog's food, from scratch.
2. Training and agility. Many people said they're teaching their dog's new tricks. They've signed up for online courses or following YouTube videos or articles.
3. Baking. Lots of people are baking treats and cakes for their pups.
4. Celebrating Birthdays. We are all desperate to celebrate, something, anything...People are ordering doggie cakes, decorations and are ready to party.
5. Car Drives. Dogs are enjoying going on essential errands with their humans. Also, many people mentioned leisure drives, heading out to the beach or mountains with their dogs, then turning around and going home.
6. Canine Massage. Yes, it's a real thing and people are rubbing away their dog's woes like never before.
To see the full list of extra-ordinary things people are doing with their pups, visit 27 Things To Do With Your Dog During A Pandemic
* check out the full survey results here.